Updated: March 2nd, 2018
California Business Corporation Registry Search
The Business Programs Division of the California Secretary of State is responsible for keeping a database containing detailed information on entities incorporated in the state. You can access the database to view information on entities such as Corporations, Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships. You can also use the database to see if the name you want to use for your business is available.
Sole proprietorships and general partnerships are not registered with the Secretary of State as they are not individual business entities. To find more information on sole proprietorships or partnerships, visit the county clerk where the business is located and look at the Fictitious Business Name filings.
To search the Secretary of State database, you need to have at least one of the following information with you:
- Entity Name
- Entity Number
California Business Name Search
If you are someone looking for information regarding corporations or business entities based in California, then you have come to the right place. We’ve made the search process easier to understand with our simple guideline below. Just follow the steps on how to use the search tool of the California Secretary of State.
1. Go to the Business Programs Division’s Search Page here (see the screenshot below for reference).
2. Choose your Search Type (“Corporation Name”, “LP/LLC Name”, or “Entity Name”). For this example, let’s type in the name of a business entity (“American Coffee Company”) in the “Search Criteria” field.
Next, filter your search by selecting either “Keyword”, “Exact”, or “Begins With” (for this example, let’s select “Keyword”). Then click the “Search” button (see the screenshot below for reference).
3. The Results Page will then appear with your business entity’s basic information. If you want further information, just click on the entity’s name.
The screenshot below shows the business entity’s detailed information. You may also download the entity’s documents in PDF.
Information on California (CA) SOS
The Secretary of State of California is a constitutionally elected officer of the state. He or she serves in office for four years with a two-term limit.
The current Secretary of State is Alex Padilla, a Democrat who assumed office in 2015.
The California Secretary of State is responsible for the following duties, among others:
- Overseeing state elections
- Maintaining state archives
- Filing and disclosing campaign lobbyist financial information
- Registering and recording businesses in the state
- Certificate of Good Standing
- Commissioning notaries