Illinois Business Corporation Registry Search
Updated: February 17th, 2017
The Secretary of State of Illinois maintains one of the country’s largest databases which contain information on hundreds of thousands of business entities, primarily including Corporations and Limited Liability Companies (LLCs).
The business database also has information regarding the following entities:
- Not-for-Profit Corporations
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Companies
- Limited liability Companies
Illinois Business Entity Search
To do your search for a business entity, you need to know to have at least one of the following information with you:
- Partial Word
- File Number
To make your search easier, we have created an easy-to-follow guide for you below.
1. Click here to go to the Search Page (it will look like the screenshot below).
2. Choose what type of business entity you are searching for. In this example, we’ve selected “Corporate and LLC”.
3. Next, choose any of the search methods provided. In this example, we’ve chosen to search by name.
4. Now enter the Business Entity name in the field. For our sample name, let us type in “Exelon“, then click the “Submit” button.
5. The Results Page will then appear (see the screenshot below for reference).
Click on the business entity’s name to access more information including its File Number, Status, Entity Type, Qualification Date, etc.
Information on the Illinois (IL) SOS
As the second largest constitutional office of the state, the Secretary of State of Illinois is also an elected governmental institution.
The Secretary of State of Illinois is a government office visited by more Illinois residents than any other government office in the state.
Jesse White, a Democrat, has been the incumbent office holder since 1999.
The Secretary of State of Illinois is the custodian of the public records and archives, state laws, state records, State Capitol and Library. Aside from registering corporations, lobbyists and notaries, he is also in charge of issuing licenses to Illinois-registered vehicles and motorists.