Iowa Business Entity Search Corporation Registry Search:
Updated: February 24th, 2018
The Business Service Division of the Iowa Secretary of State acts as the record center for any business entities registered in the state. The Division stores information of the following entities:
- Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Series LLC
- Limited Partnership
- Limited Liability Partnership
- Limited Company
Sole proprietorships and partnerships do not register with the Secretary of State and are not able to be searched. Business names for sole proprietorships and partnerships are registered with the County Recorder in the county where the business is located with the Registration of Trade Name Certificate. Those businesses can be searched at the County Recorder’s office.
How to Search the Iowa Corporation Registry / Business Entity Database:
The Iowa Secretary of State provides an online tool to search for business entities headquartered in the state.
You need to have the following information with you to start your search on entities registered in the state:
- Business Name
- Business Number
Follow our simple step-by-step guide to make your Iowa business entity search easier:
1. On the Iowa Secretary of State’s website, click on “Business Entities” (see the screenshot below for reference).
2. Key in the Business Name or the Business Number. While it’s not mandatory to fill out all fields, entering information in all fields will give you a more exact result. As an example search by name, let’s type in “Clean Inc” in the “Business name” field (see the screenshot below for reference).
3. Click on the “Search” button and the Results Page will show (it will look something like the screenshot below):
The Results Page will give you information regarding Business Number, Status, and Type of the entity you have searched.
* The online search tool allows you to enter only the first few letters of the entity name. You will then get results of entity names starting with those letters.
* The Division also allows you to file online reports, as well as download online filing forms to form new entities in the state.
4. The Business Entity Summary provides an overview of the business you were searching for. Results include the legal structure, filing date, registered agent, home office information and much more.
Information on the Iowa (IA) SOS
The Iowa Secretary of State is a constitutional office of the state with a term of years. The current officeholder is Paul D. Pate. He assumed office in 2015.
The Secretary of State is responsible for a majority of state functions and duties. The Secretary of State’s responsibilities among the following four divisions:
- Elections and Voter Registrations
- Business Services
- Administrative Services
- Communication and Publications
Apart from the above, the Secretary of the State is also the custodian of the Great Seal of the State and the keeper of public records and archives.