Last Updated on February 5, 2022
A Kansas domestic LLC can be filed online or by mailing in Form DL 51-09.
To file online – Register by signing up with the Kansas Business Center through the State of Kansas. The Kansas Business Center will be used for other business registrations. Register with KanAccess. After registering, choose Kansas Business Center” from the drop-down menu and then click on “Business Entity Formation (AOI).”
Companies offering professional services can form a special type of LLC known as a Professional Association (PA), which are sometimes referred to as a professional LLC. A few types of licensed professional services include accountants, attorneys, architects, real estate brokers and others.
To file by mail – Fill out the Articles of Organization (Form DL 51-09).
Step 1: Name the LLC
Before deciding on a business name, there are a few requirements for naming an LLC in Kansas.
- The company name of the LLC, which must be unique from other LLCs.
- The designator Limited Liability Company, Limited Company, LLC, or LC must be used at the end of the LLC’s name.
- The name may contain the following words: “company,” “association,” “club,” “foundation,” “fund,” “institute,” “society,” “union,” “syndicate,” “limited,” or “trust” (or abbreviations of like import)
- You can choose to use a comma or not before the designator. For example: “Acme, LLC” and “Acme LLC” are both fine to use.
- Differences in grammar often do not create distinguishability. For example:
- The singular, plural, and possessive use of a word
- A, An, or The anywhere in the name
- The use of and, or, &
- A written number vs. the number itself. Example one vs. 1
Fortunately, the Kansas Secretary of State makes it easy to search and verify if your LLC name is available in Kansas. Here is more information on how to do an LLC name search in Kansas.
Step 2: Name of Resident Agent & Address of Registered Office
To have an LLC or corporation in the state of Kansas, there must be somebody named as the Resident Agent to serve as service of process, with a physical address to act as a point of contact and receive legal documents, tax notices, summons, subpoenas, etc. on behalf of the LLC. The Resident Agent is referred to as a Registered Agent in most states.
The Resident Agent needs to be available during normal business hours should the LLC be served with legal documents.
Who can be a resident agent in Kansas?
- A resident of Kansas with a physical address. This can be the business owner.
- Or a company that provides resident agent services.
To fill out the second question, enter the name and street address of the resident agent. Remember that this has to be a physical street address since PO Boxes are not allowed.
Step 3: Mailing Address
Enter the name and address of where you want any normal correspondence from the Secretary of State to be sent. This can include the same address as the Resident Agent and include a PO Box, home address, or address outside of Kansas.
Step 4: Tax Closing Month
The tax closing month is the end of the LLCs fiscal year. This date is important for tax filings. Most business owners will choose December for their tax closing month as most businesses run on a calendar fiscal year, January 1 to December 31.
If your LLC will tax a different fiscal year, enter the closing month in this field.
Step 5: Effective Date
The effective date is the day the LLC officially starts. There are two choices.
- Upon filing – Selecting this will have the LLC start on the day the Kansas Secretary of State processes the Articles of Organization.
- Future effective date – If you want the LLC to begin at some point in the future, select this option and enter the date the LLC should officially start. This date can’t be more than 90 days from the Secretary of State receiving the Articles of Organization.
Step 6: Signature
Assuming all of the information is correct, sign and date the form.
Step 7: Pay the Secretary of State
If filing by mail, prepare a check or money order made payable to the Kansas Office Secretary of State for $165.
Mail the completed Articles of Organization and filing fee to:
Secretary of State
Memorial Hall, 1st Floor
120 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1594