Maryland Business Corporation Registry Search
Updated: July 19, 2018
The business corporation registry of the Maryland Secretary of State acts as the record center for all those corporate entities that are or were headquartered in the state. The registry holds filing and authorization information of every commercial enterprise that is incorporated in the state, whether it be a Corporation, Limited Liability Company (LLC), Limited Company, Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Partnership. Information on sole proprietorships and general partnerships are not recorded with the Maryland SOS. If a Trade Name Application was filed for a sole proprietorship or general partnership, some information will be available with the State Department of Assessments and Taxation.
Maryland Business Entity Search
Below, we’ve created a simple step-by-step guide for you to find several business entities in the state. To continue with the process, you need to know the entity name.
1. Click here to go to the Search Page (it will look similar to the screenshot below).
2. Select the type of search you want by choosing from the drop-down menu. You can search by name or by entity ID. For this example, let’s try searching by name.
3. Click on the “Continue” button and enter the entity name in the field. Let’s type in “Digex”.
4. Click on “Continue” and the Results Page with a list of business entities carrying the name, ID, details and status will appear.
5. Click on “General information”, “Amendment”, “Personal Property”, or “Certificate of Status” which shows whether the business is in good standing with the state to access more information on the entity.
*Note: The Maryland business search tool for finding registered businesses in Maryland. This tool lets you gather any information on many of the business entity registered in the state. Whether an entity is dissolved, incorporated, forfeited or active, you can access all their information with a click. You can also register new entities, as well as file annual reports in their website. This tool also allows you in some cases to look up information about the business owners or registered agent.
The Maryland Secretary of State does not have information regarding business licenses. To find out if a business is licensed in Maryland, check with the Department of Commerce.
Information on the Maryland (MD) SOS
The Secretary of State of Maryland is a constitutional office in the state, located in Baltimore Maryland. The Secretary of State is not elected but appointed by the Governor of Maryland.
The present Secretary of State of Maryland is John P. Wobensmith.
The Secretary of State of Maryland is the custodian of the Great Seal of the State of Maryland and the guardian of the public records and public archives. The Secretary of State of Maryland is responsible for an array of administrative functions of the state, including the issuance of licenses and notarization of public documents.